DON BOSCO SUNNYSIDE (1954) C-1955
St Dominic Savio Patron
Upper Shillong – 793 005
(0364) 2560080 House
96121 66624 Fr. Philip Barjo
firstname.lastname@example.org Fr. Philip Barjo
Fr. Barjo Philip Rector & N. Master
Fr. Albert Sangma VR, Socius, Adm
Cl. Lugun Vinod PT 1
Br. Pakma Joseph
Fr. Valiaveettil Jose Confessor
The novitiate house of the Province of Guwahati is situated at the 4th Mile, Upper Shillong, and is surrounded by a number of villages that fall under the parish of St. Paul, Upper Shillong.
In September 1923, the then Provincial and Prefect Apostolic of Assam, Mgr. Louis Mathias, received from Turin the offer of novices for a novitiate in India, if he desired to open one. He jumped at the proposal and got busy about preparing for it. However, they could not get a proper property for the purpose. Hence, the novitiate was started in the clergy house, Shillong.
According to the regulations (Art. 261) and the deliberations of General Chapter XVII, each province had to have its own house of novitiate. Hence, the provincial, Fr. Anthony Alessi, decided to provide the province with a house for the purpose, a house all by itself.
With an indenture dated 6th August 1953, he bought from Mrs. E.M. Wood the holding known as Sunnyside, situated at Upper Shillong, and on the 24th of May 1954, took possession of it, blessed it and left Fr. H. Fontana in charge of the property. For the last 45 years of its existence, (from 1956 onwards), 1407 novices have passed through its portals for their novitiate.