ST. ANTHONYs COLLEGE (1953) C-1959
St Anthony Patron
St Anthony’s College
Shillong – 793 001
(0364) 2223558 / 2222558 / 2220851
94361 10437 Fr. Ioannis War
94363 37168 Fr. Joby Joseph
Fr. Saji Stephen
Fr. Manjakattil Joby Joseph VP, HOD Comp. Sc., Cs
Fr. Palamattathil George2 VR & VP, Dir.-Siloam
Fr. Parappilly Saji Stephen1 Rector, Prof., Warden
Fr. War Ioannis Eugene Principal
Shillong – 793 003, Meghalaya
94361 10439 Fr. Saji Stephen
Umsawkwan, Umsaw P.O. – 793 123
Ri Bhoi Dist.
94361 09171 Office
94361 10438 Fr. G. Palamattam
94361 09170 Fr. M. Payappilly
The college was started in 1934 at the initiative of Fr. Bacchiarello, and has the distinction of being the first university college in the Salesian world. It was successively affiliated to the Calcutta, Guwahati and North–Eastern Hill Universities. The college also runs a hostel for 160 inmates.
Fr. Joseph Arokiasamy replaced him in 1958. The college was shifted to its present premises by Fr. Joseph Arokiasamy, principal from.
In 1940, Fr. Noel Kenny joined the college as an English Professor. He was later to be the Warden of the hostel and vice principal of the college. In 1943 and in 1959, he was given the additional charge of looking after the school.
Starting as an intermediate college in 1934, the college has grown to its present status of a well known and recognized institute in the country and has today 114 teaching staff, 33 non-teaching staff and about 2,500 students on its rolls. It has 22 departments up to the Honours level under 3 streams of study: Arts, Science and Commerce. The college also runs a post–graduate course in computer applications.