Nongpoh parish was established on 1-1-1952 to evangelize the people of the Ri Bhoi area, as well as to cater to the pastoral needs of the Catholics who at the time numbered around 3000. At the time of its erection, it catered to a vast populace, reaching into areas that now form part of the dioceses of Guwahati and Diphu. The first parish priest was Fr. Bott. The others who are associated with the growth and development of the parish are Frs. Mawri, Balawan, Jacob (a diocesan priest), Arminana, Marzo and Tuligi. The majority of Catholics come from the Khasi, Garo and Karbi tribes. The parish has given birth to four other parishes. Today, the parish has 52 primary schools, 11 Upper primary schools and 4 high schools. There are also number of village hostels.
Nongpoh is the district headquarters of the district of Ri Bhoi, of the state of Meghalaya approximately 50 kms away from both Shillong and Guwahati. The Catholics number more than 11,000 in about 77 villages. According to an agreement signed between the Archbishop, Most. Rev. Hubert D’Rosario, and the Salesian Provincial, Fr. Mathai Kochuparampil, on 19-03-1982, the parish belongs to the Salesians permanently.